We’re in the family room today discussing how the “high functioning” autism label affects our kids. There’s a myth that those who are functioning at a “higher level” don’t need as many services and are more independent. Nothing could be further from the truth. Tune in to hear about the eight problem areas Janeen has identified as well as tips to make things easier.
In this episode you will discover:
- Challenges of the high functioning label.
- What it is like for the child who has the label and isn’t told.
- Some of the mental health issues that accompany this diagnosis.
- Some solutions for parents to make things just a little bit easier.
Mentioned on the podcast:
Join the conversation in our private Facebook group: Our Autism Blueprint Private Facebook Page
Eight High Functioning Issues:
- Ability to speak but not always accurately communicate thoughts and feelings.
- Inaccurate diagnosis or not telling the child they even have a diagnosis.
- Undiagnosed learning disabilities.
- Mental health issues often go unchecked: anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts.
- Social and bullying issues
- Being misunderstood by both family members and school.
- Splinter skills: Child can ace algebra but not remember to shower.
- Judgement and criticism of parents.
Six Things That Help:
- A complete understanding of your kid in order to accept the differences they have.
- Listening and validating your child rather than rushing in to “fix” the problem they are experiencing.
- Getting an accurate diagnosis.
- Informing and educating others about your child’s diagnosis and how they process life.
- Honesty with your child in order to help them accept themselves and have a reason (not an excuse!) for why they are the way they are.
- Sibling relationships. These are some of the best advocates.