We’re in the family room today talking about what to do after receiving an autism diagnosis. As a parent of a newly diagnosed child, you may be wondering, “What the heck do I do next?!”
Host, Janeen Herskovitz shares a little about her own journey as well as the things she wishes someone had told her at the beginning.
In this episode you will discover:
- What Janeen wishes she had known about the autism journey when she began.
- How you can be the best you for your child.
- How to manage the overwhelm of a new diagnosis.
- Ways to stay connected with others who are experiencing the same emotions you are right now.
What To Do After Your Child Is First Diagnosed With Autism:
- Give yourself time to adjust.
- Get connected with other parents who “get it.”
- Know what to expect: from your child, from your family and friends
- Manage the overwhelm
- Utilize resources: books, podcasts, courses, groups (See below for some suggestions.)
Mentioned on the podcast:
Books Janeen Likes:
- The Reason I Jump, By Naoki Hagshida
- Autism Breakthrough, By Raun Kaufman
- Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew: 3rd Edition: Revised and Updated, By, Ellen Notbohm
- The Autism Revolution, By Martha Herbert
- Healing Our Autistic Children, By Julie Buckley, MD
Autism Blueprint Connection Resources:
Join the conversation in our private Facebook group: Our Autism Blueprint Private Facebook Page
Autism Blueprint Mastermind Group: Online support for autism parents.
Contact Janeen directly to work one-on-one with coaching services via video chat/in-person.
Coming in 2020: The Autism Blueprint Classroom
An online platform for videos, courses and resources for autism parents and professionals.