One of the scariest parts of raising a child with a life-long disability is planning for their care after you’re gone. And if you’re one of those parents, you may not know that there are things you can put in place now for your child that will help your family financially, assist them in their independence, and ensure they are cared for when you’re no longer here. My guest, Scarlett Kibbey helps parents put these things in place for their families.
In this episode you will discover:
- What state and federal benefits your child is eligible to receive today and in the future.
- How these programs differ when your child is under 18 and an adult.
- The history of the Medicaid Waiver in Florida.
- How to find out what benefits are available in your state.
- What is a special needs trust and why you need one.
- What guardianship is and why you may need to get it.
- How Social Security (SSI) works and your child’s eligibility.
Meet Scarlett Kibbey
Scarlett is the founder of The Special Needs Guidance Group; A private consulting agency that helps parents build a support system for their child by providing Medwaiver consultation and assistance in the state of Florida. She has a bachelor’s in Psychology and has over 12 years experience as a Medwaiver Support Coordinator with the Agency For Persons With Disabilities.
Mentioned on the podcast:
- Join the conversation in our private Facebook group: Our Autism Blueprint Private Facebook Page
- Scarlett’s Website: The Special Needs Guidance Group
- Scarlett’s Facebook Group for Special Needs Parents
- Florida Medwaiver Info
- Able Accounts
- To find the waiver agency in your state, go to: http://medicaidwaiver.org/ OR google: (insert your state) agencies for persons with disabilities, or special needs.