We’re in the study today talking about reasons to consider getting the official autism diagnosis. In this episode we will be diving into the reasons people decide to get a diagnosis and why they may decide not to. Janeen will share 5 reasons why you may want to consider it, as well as tips to help you make that difficult decision.
In this episode you will discover:
5 Reasons To Consider Getting the ASD Diagnosis:
- Access to educational adaptations/specialized services/classes
- Financial: scholarships/medwaiver/SSI benefits
- For your child’s mental health/adjustment and ability to take ownership and advocate for themselves
- Therapeutic; get them the help they need through speech, ABA, OT, PT, etc.
- Family buy-in & understanding of the child’s needs.
Tips for making this difficult decision:
1. Make decisions based on the present rather than the “what-if’s”
2. Be sure you’re making the decision that is best for your child and not just for you or pressure from a family member.
3. Discuss it with a professional before deciding.
4. Remember that a diagnosis does not define your child nor does it determine what they can do or how far they can go.