We’re in the classroom today learning about how AAC, or alternative and augmentative communication can help your child. In this episode my guest, Betsy Furler shares her personal journey, her experience as a speech-language pathologist, as well as what she is doing to help employers integrate people with hidden disabilities into their workplace.
In this episode you will discover:
- How Betsy struggled to get an accurate medical diagnosis for her son.
- What AAC is, and how it can help.
- The benefits of using AAC to help your child, even if they are able to speak.
- The App Betsy is creating to help employers accommodate employees with special needs.
Meet Betsy Furler, MS, CCC-SLP
Betsy is passionate about great technology that changes lives and accurate and impactful portrayal of disabilities in film. Trained as a Speech Pathologist, Betsy leverages over two decades of experience working with older adults and people with a wide range of disabilities and ages to help companies support employees and to improve lives of all people and maximize their product reach to often overlooked portions of the population. She is a subject matter expert in disabilities, education, cognition, language, and in the use of AI for medtech and edtech. Betsy is the host of the podcast, Your App Lady. She has authored four books and coauthored two books. Currently, Betsy is developing a cutting edge software solution to help employers support their employees with disabilities through her tech startup, For All Abilities. Betsy is mom to Henry and Sam and is married to Eric. They live in Houston, TX and work tirelessly to live up to their family motto of “Go big or go home.”
Mentioned on the podcast:
- Sign up for our Autism Mastermind Online Parent Group HERE.
- Join the conversation in our private Facebook group: Our Autism Blueprint Private Facebook Page
- Betsy’s employment software site: ForAllAbilities.com
- Betsy’s book: Talking With Tech: Solutions for Children and Adults Who Are Nonverbal
- AAC Online Course for parents
- Instagram: For All Abilities
Listen to this episode: